The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn is one of London’s hidden treasures, founded over 600 years ago. It is an oasis of calm steeped in centuries of tradition.
As one of the four Inns of Court, it has a rich and colourful history in maintaining the independence, quality and integrity of the Bar and the Judiciary.
The Inn and the Estate
Gray’s Inn is one of the four Inns of Court which have the exclusive right to call men and women to the Bar of England and Wales.
The Inn exists to support, educate and develop its student barrister members and to provide continuing professional development to its qualified barrister members in accordance with its historic traditions.
The Inn has a substantial estate predominantly set around two squares, South Square and Gray’s Inn Square, and its gardens. The Estate contains barristers’ chambers and solicitors' firms in addition to the Chapel, the Library, the Chapel, the Treasury Office and the Education Department.
The gardens of Gray’s Inn are known as “The Walks” and were originally designed in 1606 by the then Treasurer, Sir Francis Bacon, whose statue can be seen in the South Square.
The Walks remain among the largest private gardens in London: five acres of perfectly maintained park entered through a pair of impressive iron gates.